Wednesday 3 December 2014

The arrival of winter



Winter has finally arrived.

Last night, before going to bed I looked out of the window. Paloma, our new car, was coated in glistening white.

This morning I was stunned by the beauty of the whiteness of the garden. Frost coats the lawns, the trees & other plants. As I go to the laundry room I stop to look at the thermometer on the garden shed, -10°C.

We’ll soon be off to Amsterdam. One thing is for certain – I’m packing thick warm clothes, layers of them. I’m also wearing boots & a woolly hat. I remember how cold Hull can be when the East wind blows in winter there. I suspect Amsterdam will be worse. I’ve had a look at the forecast for the days we will be there. One day the maximum temperature is predicted to be 0°C. It will be colder in the evening & we will be out, hunting for dinner, then – I can’t believe we will want to always eat at the hotel & we’ve only paid B&B.

Still I won’t complain too much if we can get the bright sunshine of today as well. The cold you can wrap up against, but grey wet days never show anywhere off to their best. They’re just miserable. I’m really looking forward to the off. I can’t wait.

No comments: