Thursday 5 September 2013

A case of bullying



We’re nearly there. We’ve been to the surgery to collect a carrier bag full of medication. The last book & jigsaw are ready to go back to the library this afternoon. A huge pile of items have been put on one side, ready to be packed into bags this afternoon. (We’re taking one suitcase & some hand luggage. We’ll need some overnight things for our hotel stay the night before our flight.) The last carrot has just gone into the base of a Chicken & Vegetable Pie. I’m just waiting for the filling to cool before I top it with some puff pastry. The last old potato has been peeled for the accompanying mash. I think we’re nearly there.

Now I wait for Angie, our home help, if she’s coming. Last week I had a dispute with the care agency. Angie was on holiday so someone else was sent instead. This person came early & duly told me she was here for 2 hours. I had only arranged one hour a week, two on the first Thursday of the month i.e. today, not last week. As I explained this to the woman she duly left after an hour.

In the afternoon I had a phone call from the agency insisting I paid for the second hour. I pointed out I had not asked for that hour. She told me Angie had made the agreement with them for the extra hour to be once every 4 weeks. I assured her I had very carefully asked for the first Thursday of the month thinking it may cause them an administrative problem, but they had said it was fine. The contract is with me, not Angie. That being so I feel no obligation to pay for their administrative incompetence. She continued to insist. I continued to refuse. The administrator said she would be passing the matter onto her manager.  I have had no word from him. I suspect she’s not even told her.

To my mind this is a case of bullying, verging on fraud & blackmail. She seemed to think since the council gives me vouchers for these visits then I should have no hesitation in handing them over whether or not the work was done. I couldn’t help pointing out if I accepted this policy, then next week they could decide to send someone round all day & insist I pay for all that time. I would be virtually be being blackmailed into it.

I’ve heard nothing further this week. I’m now wondering if Angie will be coming for one hour or two. Or even if she is going to appear & they haven’t decided to cancel our whole contract & not bother to tell me.

I’m certainly wondering whether I should be writing a letter of complaint both to the manager of the care agency & to the council. This sort of bullying should not be allowed to happen. Most people receiving the care this agency provides are vulnerable, often frail, often in need of absolutely essential care for any kind of life, for help such as feeding. Are others too being bullied in this way, possibly blackmailed even out of their hard earned savings & pensions?

Previously I have had only praise for this care agency. When you hear the horror stories of the sort of care, or rather lack of care, provided by some agencies, then this one has seemed excellent. But now I’m beginning to wonder whether I should be looking for another one in the area. I’m feeling duly grateful for living in a town where there are several agencies to choose from & not just a single choice. I can exercise that choice & go elsewhere.

No comments: