Tuesday 28 October 2008

Tealess

I wake up this morning. The first thing my eyes fall upon is a full glass of water. Oh dear! Last night was supposed to have been the first night of taking a pill in the middle of the night. Every 3 months I have 2 weeks when I have to go through this phase with my medication. It isn't essential to take it at night, but for two hours before & two hours after, I can only eat or drink water. I usually find it easier to find the 4 hour with just water easier during the night. I normally wake up at regular intervals throughout the night anyhow. After our festivities of last night, for the first time in months, I actually slept through the night without waking once. The Fox, too, must have forgotten, as he usually checks I've taken my pill when he joins me in bed a little later on. Hence the full glass of water. I hastily take my pill but now I must wait the two hours before my morning cup of tea & my caffeine fix to kick start me into the day. It's already seems long & I've barely been up half an hour!

In that time I've discovered our birds are back. Before we went away, I filled the feeders for them. I was surprised to see they still had seed in when we arrived home. However, I soon realised our birds seemed to have disappeared. I thought nothing of it. They usually disappear for a day or two because they've emptied the feeders & go & search for food elsewhere. Once they realise we're home & food will be plentiful once more, they all fly back. I also know at this season there is plenty of seed growing naturally in the garden. Yesterday I eventually waded across the paddling pool known as the patio area of the garden to the feeders. I'd realised it had rained a lot in our absence by the lakes in our garden - there's not meant to be so much as a pond in the garden though it does flood so frequently that Al, our gardener, has often suggested we try growing rice! I then discovered why there was food in the feeders. They'd got so wet, the seed had sprouted. Indeed the feeders were clogged up with greenery. I weeded it out. I wish our birds would learn how to do this for themselves, but they're a lazy bunch. This morning I was greeted for my endeavours by the sight of the coal tits once more happily perching on the trellis flitting from time to time to the feeders. They're happy we're back!

No comments: