Sunday 5 May 2013

Italy here we come



I lie in bed. I toss & turn. The bed gets ever hotter. There’s no rest for the Vixen.

The problem? I keep going through in my mind what I packed in the afternoon. I can’t help thinking of things I’ve forgotten something. And do the various separates I’ve packed actually go together to form something resembling a cohesive look?

Suddenly I remember the manicure set. We’re sure to break some nails if I don’t take it with me. I phone the Fox to find the set & put it on the suitcase for me to pack this morning.

In the end I resort to a sleeping pill. I have to send the Fox to find them. I had already packed them. But without pills the tossing would have continued all night. Even as it was it took the best part of an hour for the pill to take effect. Usually one would knock me out in less than half an hour but this night there’s too much mental turmoil.

So this morning I’m on the last stretch. I’ve been through my handbag leaving at home any unnecessary items, moving the sewing kit I always carry into the suitcase for the hold (needles & scissors won’t go through security in the hand luggage).

I can only think of one more thing left to do – feed and water the birds in the garden. Hopefully that will keep them going until we’re back.

I confess I’m full of foreboding. I feel this holiday is going to be another disaster. Why? I suspect it’s partially that it’s just taken so much hassle to organise. The weather forecast doesn’t sound too brilliant. I’m aware of the long drive from Venice airport to the hotel in Molveno & just hope the Fox is up to it. I’m aware how terrible the Fox found driving in Italy last time we visited. I’m telling myself the people in the north will be more sensible drivers than their compatriots in the south. I’m just not sure if we haven’t taken on to much. Still it’s all organised now so we’ll just have to hope for the best & keep our fingers crossed.

Anyhow, when next I write it will be to tell you how things went.

But for now it’s Manchester here we come, then on to Italy & the Dolomites & Venice itself. Ciao.

No comments: