Tuesday 17 February 2009

Dreaming

After writing my blog yesterday, I realised I hadn't mentioned to Neil, the car mechanic, that we also needed a car service. I ring him back, apologising for disturbing him yet again. I point out I don't seem to be entirely with it at the moment. "With it! I've never known you to show any signs of ever being with it!" he exclaimed. The cheek of the man! Admittedly when I call I've ceased to say who it is, just saying "It's Nuisance again." You can tell we've used him a while.

Why aren't I with it? I suspect it's because I'm still preoccupied with the new kitchen. It will be a relief when all decisions are made & the kitchen on order. Meanwhile I've just spent an hour looking at sinks. I never realised there was so much choice. And then there's the taps as well. I'm beginning to think I'm just draining down the sink hole!

At the Pub yesterday thoughts went to holiday dreams. Al, our gardener, has just booked his dream holiday to New Zealand, stopping for a few days each way at Singapore. He had hoped to come back via Hong Kong, but that upped the price & caused complications in the booking, even having to go through Heathrow, not an experience he wants if he can avoid it. He's apparently got family there & they're going to lend
Al & his wife their camper van so they can tour around at their leisure. At Singapore, Al's particularly keen to see the orchid collection. He's agreed to let his wife loose on Orchard Road, the shopping street with all the big international names like Prada, but he's not letting her loose with the credit cards.

The conversation moved on to other dream holidays. As you already know, mine is to visit Brunei. I'd also like to go to Penang some time. And the Great Barrier Reef & .... The Fox fancies South Africa. I have to admit we recently had a brochure arrive with a picture of elephants standing in front of Kilimanjaro (Kenya I know). It looked idyllic. So maybe Africa will be next on our horizons. After Brunei that is.

I was surprised when Gaz, the owner/manager, commented he's always fancied a cruise up the Amazon. He was looking at the newspaper at the time, & couldn't help envying the cricket supporters in the West Indies, not so much for the cricket as for the West Indies themselves. He'd also like to go back to New York some time. He went last year for the first time, for a family wedding, & was really wowed. Gaz's girlfriend, Becks, is keen on going to Cuba. She loves dancing, especially salsa at the moment. I suspect after that she'll be wanting to go tangoing in Argentina.

Little B has a hankering for Scotland. He's not been for years. Now he's in his 70s he feels his days for travelling abroad are numbered. I have to admit we've been feeling an itch to revisit Scotland. It's ages since we last went.

It's good to dream of something other than kitchens!

No comments: