Friday 22 March 2019

A mixed day


Yesterday turned into a mixed day.

We got to the garden centre. We’ve bought a red rhododendron, two evergreen azaleas, one red, one orange, a yellow rudbeckia, a pinky purpley red heather, two pots of lily-of-the-valley, a forsythia, a bug house & two bags of ericaceous compost. Hopefully that means the front garden can be planted when our gardener comes next week. It will be good to regain our privacy. At the moment a sole bay tree reigns there. The forsythia is for the back garden. I love the blaze of gold at this time of year that a forsythia gives. At last that omission will be no more.

We were also given a £25 voucher to use up by the end of the month so if there’s any gaps that need filling, or compost/fertilisers required we get them next week. If nothing else we can always buy some extra bug houses.

We then went on to Carnforth. I was looking for some diced rabbit but could only find jointed on-the-bone rabbit. I didn’t really want that so I changed my plans & bought some lamb to roast on Saturday instead.

Next we headed for a meal out. Last time we went to Carnforth we’d so enjoyed our meal at the County Hotel we had resolved in future whenever we went over there we would eat at the hotel.

The first thing that annoyed me was when I asked for the disabled loo. I was told that there wasn’t one. I asked why as there used to be one. I know as I’ve used it before. They reckoned the only access to that toilet was via the function room which wasn’t always appropriate. Since it needed repair they were doing anything about it as they were intending to redesign that whole area later this year. I couldn’t help thinking if it had been the gents or ladies toilet that had broken down they would have had a plumber out that day rather than be without a toilet for months.

It did not leave me feeling very welcome. They then showed me to a table “out of the way”. That didn’t help me feel wanted either. I am happy to sit in a quieter spot & will generally try to sit in a position waiting staff won’t have to trip over me all the time, but not to be given the impression that I’m an eyesore, a rather off-putting sight.

The meal went on. The fishcake starter was delicious. However, we then had to wait for the best part of an hour before the main course arrived.

When it did turn up, it had clearly been severely neglected.

We’d both gone for the pie of the day, turkey & ham. The pie had clearly been pre-made, sliced & put in the oven to warm up. This had happened when the order had gone in & was then forgotten. By the time it arrived with us, the meat on both sides along the cut was absolutely hard & dried out.

The pie was accompanied by a jacket potato each. These too had been pre-cooked, cut in the middle & put in the oven along with the pie. The Fox’s potato had actually got crispy brown along the cut in the middle of the potato. The butter we’d requested to put in the potato eventually arrived when we’d just about finished the meal & the potato & other veg were too cold to melt the butter. We complained.

The only saving grace was the ample jug of gravy. It was the only thing that made the food edible. It was just too dry to eat otherwise.

To be fair they did not charge us for the pies, just the fishcake starter & the drinks. However, that did little to appease our disgruntlement. It certainly doesn’t encourage us to go back again any time soon.

I had been wondering whether to suggest it as a destination for a birthday meal with friends next month. Now we will not, especially as the co-host of the meal is a fellow wheelchair user who may need the loo & certainly does not need to be made to feel unsightly & unwelcome on his birthday.

No comments: