Tuesday 7 February 2017

Taking to water



My current novel, “The Little Paris Bookshop” by Nina George, is sending me along the waterways of France. The bookshop is based on a barge which, at the start of the book, is moored up in Paris. As the tale goes on the owner & associates set off on an epic trip down to the south of France. I’ve just passed Sancerre, famed for its wines, so far. As they sail, they travel down the river of life, changing perceptions, coming to terms with their pasts & futures.

As I read, the idea of a canal boat holiday appeals. The gentle pace of life through quiet open countryside sounds just what we could do with.

Maybe I’ve just been watching too many television programmes where Tim West & Prunella Scales travel on the canals of Europe. Some of their canals have not been quiet – the chaos that is Venice for example – or through not so beautiful scenery –the industrial heart of Bradford & Leeds for example – but that peacefulness that comes with slow travel still pervades their trips.

I wonder if it would be possible to find a wheelchair accessible boat. It’s a thought. We could stop at canal/river side pubs/bars/restaurants as we went. It sounds idyllic.

When we went on holiday in Burgundy a couple of years ago we met to English couples who were doing just that. I quite envy them.


No comments: