Friday 5 February 2010

Machinery blindspot

Readers of the Fox's blog will know about the problems we're having with our laptop. I'm just relieved when we tried to switch on at home, it was the Fox who decided to boot up first. At least this time it's not my fault. I wasn't even in the same room!

There is nothing so frustrating as a piece of machinery that doesn't work. It ceases to be of value & becomes to a useless lump of metal etc.

There are times when I wish I could appreciate the challenge of sorting out these hiccoughs but I don't. It's as simple as that. I'll happily spend hours fitting pieces together in a jigsaw, sorting out some sewing or knitting, but mechanical bits is another matter.

Part of it is that I don't really like handling metal. This struck me when I once sat in on a jewelry class & was told to file some metal to smooth the edges on a potential bracelet. I suddenly realised what the Fox had had against metalwork at school. Wood is warm & sensual, metal cold & unyielding. No, give me card (for jigsaws) or fabrics any time.

But it isn't just that. If there is something in the software side of computers I can't get right, I'd sooner call upon the Fox for help. I'm just not interested. However, I'll spend hours on a crossword, sudoku, polygons & other such puzzles.

The workings of equipment just don't interest me. I don't need to understand its workings as long as it does its job. The fascination of its workings, or failure to work, I leave to others.

No comments: